THE BEST OF BOND

BEST BOND VILLAINS

1. No-faced Blofeld in “From Russian with Love” (1963) and “Thunderball” (1965) – He is the original James Bond movie villain, and the fact you can’t see his face makes him all the more ominous.

2. Gert Fröbe as Goldfinger in “Goldfinger” (1964) – Equal parts creepy, evil and oily.

3. Donald Pleasance as Blofeld in “You Only Live Twice” (1967) – We owe 90% of Dr. Evil to this rendition (with the other 10% coming from Lorne Michaels). It’s hard to believe that Pleasance was a last-minute replacement for Jan Werich, who looked too much like Santa Claus to be a convincing bad guy.

Honorable Mention: Scaramonga from “The Man with the Golden Gun” (1974), mainly because Christopher Lee rules, no matter how many nipples he has.

BEST EVIL PLOT

1. “From Russia With Love” (1963) – It wasn’t a plot to blow up the world, but SPECTRE’s attempt to work the British against the Russians in order to deliver a decoding machine was genius.

2. “Goldfinger” (1964) – Would it work? Who the hell knows?! But the idea to make all the gold in Fort Knox radioactive paved the way for future Bond villains to strike it rich.

3. “Moonraker” (1979) – I know. I know. The whole master-race thing is cheesy as hell, but it was a different sci-fi spin to the normal Bond standbys.

Honorable Mention: “Thunderball” (1965) – Dr. Evil would have never thought to hijack nuclear warheads from Kerplackestan if Blofeld and Largo hadn’t thought of it first.

BEST FREAKY HENCHMAN

1. Richard Kiel as Jaws in “The Spy Who Loved Me” (1977) and “Moonraker” (1979) – This guy was so cool that he is the only henchman to have a sequel. Who can say no to a man that bites sharks and chomps through steel cables?

2. Harold Sakata as Oddjob in “Goldfinger” (1964) – Who throws a hat? This guy makes it look cool.

3. Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp in “Goldeneye” (1995) – Sexy and deadly. That’s worth $300 an hour, isn’t it?

Honorable Mention: Lotta Lenya as Rosa Kleb and Robert Shaw as Grant in “From Russia With Love” (1963) – Not really all that freaky, but determined as hell, so they get an A for effort.

Bond Babes in part four of THE BEST OF BOND>>>




Posted on June 3, 2003 in Features by

Buffer


If you liked this article then you may also like the following Film Threat articles:
Popular Stories from Around the Web

Tell us what you're thinking...





Comments are governed by the Terms of Use of this Site. Click on the "Report Comment" link if you feel a comment is in violation of the Terms of Use, and the comment will be reviewed appropriately.