Hey Filmmakers, welcome to Going Bionic #212, also known as our 4th Birthday Party! May 18, 2014 marks our 1,460th day of “going bionic,” and with any luck, I’ll be bringing you many more.
My first article came out on my nephew Sean’s 19th birthday, before he knew what he wanted to do for a living. Now Sean’s a film major at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco and well on his way of a life of cinematic treachery. So Sean, Happy 23rd Birthday!
It’s fitting that we started this column during the Cannes Film Festival, because as those of you who read this regularly know, I am quite the cheerleader for Cannes. Luckily, this year’s Cannes experience has given me no reason to stop pounding the “Cannes is the greatest film festival on the planet” drum, because a) the weather has been perfect, b) the sales environment has been thriving, and c) The American Express Centurion Card Division has graciously arranged some pretty magical experiences for my friends and I. These include having a private, four-course lunch on a $200 million dollar yacht, getting invited to the most exclusive parties, and walking the red carpet for a major premiere. Simply put, it’s been really damn fun. In fact, this year’s festival has been the most fun I’ve had since 2007, when my company, Lonely Seal Releasing, teamed up with Greenpeace and HollywoodToday.com to throw a party for 1,643 people in celebration of Julian Lennon’s Whaledreamers.
As for our fourth birthday party, today I’m going link every Cannes-related article I’ve ever written, in order to give you a taste of the best festival around. So, without further ado, let’s kick-off our 4th Birthday Party!
Our First Slice of Going Bionic
Bionic Slices from 2011
- The Cannes 2011 to do List – May 3, 2011
- Going Bionic’s First Birthday Party- May 17, 2011
- Banned in Cannes! – May 24, 2011
Bionic Slices from 2012
- Prepping for Cannes – Part 1 – April 17, 2012
- Prepping for Cannes – Part 2 – What to Expect When You’re Expecting a Sale – April 24, 2012
- Prepping for Cannes – Part 3 – Insider Insights – May 8, 2012
- Cannes Trends – Destination Upward! – May 22, 2012
Bionic Slices from 2013
- Rain, Rain don’t go Away – May 16, 2013
- Wham, Bam, Thank You Scam – How Fake Internships Prey on College Students at Cannes! – May 19, 2013
- Welcome to our 3rd Birthday Party! – May 21, 2013
- Cannes Wrap-Up 2013 – May 28, 2013
Bionic Slices from 2014 (so far)
- Looking Ahead to the 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival – April 29, 2014
- Discovering the 2014 Marche du Film – May 6, 2014
- The Cannes 2014 Kick-Off! – May 13, 2014
Well, there you go. There are 15 Cannes-related articles for you to review, since we started this party four years ago. Of course, you can expect more Cannes articles this week, including quick “special reports,” as well as our regular Tuesday edition. I must say the last four years have been one hell of a fun ride, and like all fun rides, I’d like for it to keep on rolling for as long as possible. I’d like to thank each and every one of you for lending me your eyes over the past four years, and I’d be honored if you would allow me to do so again next Tuesday.
I can be followed on Twitter @Lonelyseal.
Posted on May 18, 2014 in Features, Going Bionic by Hammad Zaidi
If you liked this article then you may also like the following Film Threat articles:
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILM INTERNATIONALLY – GOING BIONIC TURNS 250!
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – WELCOME TO OUR THREE-YEAR BIRTHDAY PARTY!
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – 2010 YEAR-END REVIEW
- TROMA DOES CANNES 2002
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – WELCOME TO OUR 2014 YEAR-IN-REVIEW!
Popular Stories from Around the Web