The 19th annual Austin Film Festival and Conference, taking place October 18-25, 2012, has announced their initial lineup of panel programming and panelists. From the official press release:
The 19th annual Austin Film Festival (AFF) is proud to announce an exciting initial round of Conference panels, along with over 30 new panelists including top screenwriters, directors and more for the 2012 Festival & Conference October 18-25 in Austin.
This year’s Conference panels delve into a wide variety of topics ideal for writers and filmmakers of all levels intent on honing their craft, while also providing an entertaining and intriguing look behind the curtain for the general public. Learn about adapting the comic book universe to the big screen with D.C. Vs. Marvel! Hear cautionary tales from industry leaders in Hollywood Horror Stories. Get advice about Writing Espionage and Writing for Video Games. For the first time ever at Austin Film Festival, witness a real Writers Room Roundtable in action. Hear from the creative minds behind your favorite productions in the “A Conversation With…” series.
“Never before has Austin Film Festival locked so many outstanding writing and filmmaking talents this far out from the Conference. We’re grateful for the passionate support, and credit the enthusiastic response to the inspiring and energizing atmosphere created by the collective of screenwriters and filmmakers that gather in Austin each October,” said Conference Director Maya Perez.
Austin Film Festival & Conference brings in the industry’s best writers, filmmakers, producers, show creators and more. Panelists share insight into past projects for film and television and dispense valuable advice for budding writers, filmmakers and storytellers. The following additions to the lineup include Shane Black (IRON MAN 3), Paul Feig (BRIDESMAIDS), Sacha Gervasi (ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL), Michael Green (THE GREEN LANTERN), Damon Lindelof (PROMETHEUS), Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, Party Down), and many more.
2012 AUSTIN FILM FESTIVAL & CONFERENCE PANELS
D.C. VS MARVEL!
For the first time since the limited edition, bestselling comic book we’re bringing D.C. Comics and Marvel together! The creative minds behind the films IRON MAN 3, THOR, THE AVENGERS, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, SUPERMAN RETURNS, ELEKTRA, THE GREEN LANTERN, X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, X2, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and more will be under one roof at the Austin Film Festival this October. We’re planning a panel of spectacular proportions covering everything from writing for the D.C. and Marvel universes, rules the writers had to keep in mind about the characters and how they managed to infuse originality into these beloved and intricate stories.
HOLLYWOOD HORROR STORIES
A discussion on the various pitfalls, problems, and indignities that screenwriters face, referencing actual occurrences. An informative hour of everything that can go wrong, whether it’s your first project trying to break in, or a big studio tent-pole picture. And strategies to avoid the problems how to overcome creative conflicts and interpersonal issues in a creative environment; how to deal with a difficult director, uncooperative talent; what creative protections a basic contract provides you; and more.
CROWDFUNDING YOUR INDIE FILM
As our world gets more connected and technologically developed, filmmakers are finding numerous avenues and opportunities to get their projects off the ground. One significant example of this is crowdfunding. Learn from filmmakers how best to utilize this new concept and get the money you need to make your project a reality.
Everyone loves a good spy movie, but writing a compelling mystery set in the world of espionage is easier said than done. Get tips from the screenwriters behind such hard-to-crack mystery thrillers as SAFE HOUSE, THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, GOLDENEYE, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, and others on how to craft a truly fun and effective spy mystery.
WRITING FOR VIDEO GAMES
With the crossover writers behind such game-changing videos as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, FEAR: Extraction Point, FEAR: Perseus Mandate, Ragnarok, Harm’s Way, Pursuit Force, From Russia with Love, Bloodstone and GoldenEye Reloaded, we had to have a panel on writing for video games. The video games industry is a popular and lucrative new area for writers. Learn to understand the industry and skills involved in writing non-linear stories for an interactive medium.
Hollywood is producing more and more reboots of classic tales and popular franchises, and while in some ways this can be advantageous for writers, since they have volumes of source material to draw from, it also presents another series of challenges. Join the conversations with screenwriters who have confronted these challenges when writing successful or not so successful reboots.
SPECIAL WRITERS ROOM ROUNDTABLE!
These roundtables are popular and famous in Hollywood for punching up the story and comedy of a script with a team of professional writers. For the first time ever, we’re going to have not one, but two of them at the Conference this year. They’re gonna go down fast, irreverent, funny, opinionated, harsh and illuminating. And you won’t want to miss a word.
We are thrilled to now provide this experience to our talented Sitcom Pilot winner and a select additional script from the Finalist pool. They will get their teleplay workshopped by industry pros like Etan Cohen, Jeff Lowell, Alec Berg, Pamela Ribon, Paul Simms, Hilary Winston and others. And whatever jokes or changes the pros throw out, the winning writer will be able to cherry-pick whatever they think might be helpful to their script.
AFF’S “A CONVERSATION WITH…” SERIES
Special intimate, in-depth one-on-one conversations between a top filmmaking veteran and carefully selected moderator as they illuminate specific projects and overall experiences within the industry.
A Conversation with Paul Feig
Creator of Freaks and Geeks, director of BRIDESMAIDS and episodes of The Office, Arrested Development, and more.
A Conversation with Damon Lindelof
Co-creator and executive producer of Lost, writer of PROMETHEUS, writer/producer of STAR TREK sequel, and more.
A Conversation with Kent Alterman
Executive producer of MR. WOODCOCK, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, ELF, Upright Citizens Brigade, Strangers with Candy; Director/producer of SEMI-PRO.
A Conversation with Etan Cohen
Writer of MEN IN BLACK III, TROPIC THUNDER, IDIOCRACY, several episodes of King of the Hill and more.
2012 AUSTIN FILM FESTIVAL & CONFERENCE PANELISTS
WRITERS & FILMMAKERS
* Kent Alterman, Head of Original Programming and Production for Comedy Central
* Shane Black, writer/director IRON MAN 3, KISS KISS BANG BANG, writer THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, LETHAL WEAPON, LAST ACTION HERO
* Michael Dougherty, writer SUPERMAN RETURNS, X2, TRICK ‘R TREAT
* Larry Doyle, writer I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER, The Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-Head
* Michael Elliot, writer JUST WRIGHT, BROWN SUGAR, LIKE MIKE, CARMEN: A HIP HOPERA
* Matthew Federman & Stephen Scaia, writers Human Target, Warehouse 13, Jericho
* Paul Feig, director BRIDESMAIDS, The Office, Arrested Development, creator Freaks and Geeks, writer/director I AM DAVID
* Bruce Feirstein, writer GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
* Sacha Gervasi, director HITCHCOCK, writer/director MY DINNER WITH HERVE, ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL, writer THE TERMINAL, HENRY’S CRIME
* Michael Green, creator Kings, writer THE GREEN LANTERN, The River, Heroes, Smallville
* Carey and Chad Hayes, writers THE WARREN FILES, WHITEOUT, THE REAPING
* Brin Hill, writer WON’T BACK DOWN, director IN YOUR EYES
* Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, writers/producers RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE, writers THE RELIC
* Damon Lindelof, writer PROMETHEUS, Lost, writer/producer STAR TREK sequel
* Kari Lizer, creator/ep The New Adventures of Old Christine, writer/ep Will & Grace
* Matt Olmstead, writer/producer Chicago Fire, NYPD Blue, Prison Break, Breakout Kings
* Nancy Pimental, writer Shameless, South Park
* Pamela Ribon, writer Romantically Challenged, Samantha Who?, Mind of Mencia, Hot Properties
* Bruce Joel Rubin, writer GHOST, THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE, THE LAST MIMZY, STUART LITTLE 2, DEEP IMPACT, JACOB’S LADDER
* Danny Rubins, writer GROUNDHOG DAY, S.F.W.
* Elizabeth Sarnoff, writer/ep Lost, Alcatraz, Deadwood
* Paul Simms, writer The Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio, The Larry Sanders Show, Late Night with David Letterman
* Juliet Snowden & Stiles White, writers THE POSSESSION, KNOWING, BOOGEYMAN
* Dana Stevens, writer THE AU PAIR, CITY OF ANGELS, LIFE OR SOMETHING LIKE IT, FOR LOVE OF THE GAME, creator/producer What About Brian
* Amy Talkington, writer Valley Girl ’12, Private Benjamin ’12, Night of the White Pants
* Rob Thomas, creator/writer Veronica Mars, Cupid, Party Down, developer/writer 90210, writer Dawson’s Creek
* James Vanderbilt, writer ZODIAC, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, THE RUNDOWN
*All panelists are confirmed, schedules permitting and are subject to change.
These exciting new additions join a stellar already announced initial lineup panelists including John August (FRANKENWEENIE), Alec Berg (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Scott Burns (CONTAGION), Etan Cohen (MEN IN BLACK III), Evan Daugherty (SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN), Kyle Killen (Awake), Ashley Miller (THOR), Marti Noxon (FRIGHT NIGHT), Daniel Petrie, Jr. (BEVERLY HILLS COP), and many more. You can find a full list of panelists and more information on the 2012 Conference here.
Stay tuned for more upcoming news from AFF, including this year’s award winners, film lineup, and panel schedule. For more information on Austin Film Festival and to purchase passes or badges go to www.austinfilmfestival.com. For regular updates, follow AFF on Facebook at facebook.com/AustinFilmFestival and Twitter @austinfilmfest.
Posted on June 28, 2012 in Festivals by Mark Bell
If you liked this article then you may also like the following Film Threat articles:
- THE PLOT THICKENS FOR 2009 AUSTIN FILM FESTIVAL
- FILM IN AUSTIN
- FRANK PIERSON AND TOM FONTANA WIN IN AUSTIN
- CHARLIZE THERON AND DAVID CROSS SPEAK UP AT SXSW
- YOU TOO CAN SELL TO HOLLYWOOD
Popular Stories from Around the Web