International horror hit “Ju-On: The Grudge” is coming to theaters courtesy of Vitagraph Films and Lions Gate Entertainment on July 23. The film will will premiere simultaneously in Los Angeles and New York City, expanding nationally to Chicago, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle and other markets.
Director/Writer Shimizu Takashi gives us a tale of a family who is brutally killed in their own home, leaving behind an evil spirit lurking in the shadows. When an unknowing homecare worker enters, the spirit is awakened and a terrifying chain of events begins, passing through all those who step foot in this dark house. This is the film Sam Raimi calls “The most frightening film I’ve ever seen, leaving you no time to catch your breath.”
“Ju-On: The Grudge” is the third film in the “Ju-On” series, following “Ju-On” and “Ju-On 2″, both underground hits released directly to video in Japan. It was also the first of the “Ju-On” films to be released theatrically, not only shocking Japanese audiences but also its distributor. Unable to find theaters willing to show the film, they watched as word of mouth turned it into a 500 million yen (US$4.7 million) box office sensation.
Posted on May 17, 2004 in News by Film Threat Staff
If you liked this article then you may also like the following Film Threat articles:
- “BABY’S BREATH” SCARES THE HELL OUT OF HOLLYWOOD
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – WHY JANUARY IS A GREAT MONTH FOR HORROR
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – THE (SURPRISINGLY UNEXPECTED) RECORD-BREAKING SUMMER OF 2013
- THE GRUDGE OF TAKASHI SHIMIZU
- GOING BIONIC: DISTRIBUTING INDEPENDENT FILMS INTERNATIONALLY – PUTTING A FORK IN THE HORRIFIC 2014 BOX OFFICE!
Popular Stories from Around the Web