File this in the “it must be nice to be able to make these types of decisions” category: Despite the success of “The Departed,” Martin Scorsese has decided he’d like to pursue his next project outside of the studio system.
“I think I am finding that when there are very big budgets there is less risk that can be taken,” Scorsese told reporters in Rome after a press screening of “The Departed.”
He said Warner Brothers Pictures had been supportive and patient as he shot “an experimental film like ‘The Departed’, which we only finished three weeks ago.”
“But I don’t know how much longer that can hold out, with regard to what kind of movie they – the major studios – would like to make and the kind of film I’d like to make.”
His next project is an adaptation of Shusaku Endo’s novel “Silence” and tells the story of two 17th century Portuguese missionaries.
Posted on October 16, 2006 in News by Film Threat Staff
If you liked this article then you may also like the following Film Threat articles:
- SCORSESE, HOW COME YOU TASTE SO GOOD?
- FILM THREAT’S LOOK BACK AT THE SHORT FILMS OF MARTIN SCORSESE
- MARTY AND LEO…TOGETHER AGAIN FOR THE FOURTH TIME…OR FIFTH…OR SIXTH
- THE DEPARTED
- WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE
Popular Stories from Around the Web