Unsolicited film submissions will be closed at least until mid-March 2015, due to film festival reviews and coverage.
In order to submit unsolicited films for review by Film Threat or FilmThreat.com, fill out the form below. One film per review submission form, though you may mail in multiple films in one package. Remember to use a valid email address (so we can contact you, or assist you in tracking a submission) and be sure to fill out ALL fields marked by a *, otherwise the form will not submit. If you have any problems with submitting via this form, contact us via our Support Page. If you have any questions, please refer to our review submission FAQ.
- WAIT, WE HAVE TO PAY TO SUBMIT A FILM FOR REVIEW NOW?
Yes, and since I know you’ll have more questions, keep reading…
- PAYING FOR A SUBMISSION MEANS I GET A GOOD REVIEW, RIGHT?
- FINE, WHY CHARGE TO SUBMIT A FILM FOR REVIEW AT ALL THEN?
The simple answer is that it costs money to review the films, whether that be via payment to the writers, mailing the various DVDs to the writers or the normal day-to-day site usage. Since films submitted via this form are unsolicited, they were not budgeted for, and the costs inherent need to be covered somehow. To look at it another way, if one of our writers went to see your film in a theater, it would cost the price of a ticket, then they’d need to be compensated for the time it takes to write a review. That is essentially what we’re charging here.
- OKAY, BUT BEYOND THE BUSINESS BLAH-BLAH, WHICH I REALLY DON’T CARE ABOUT (SERIOUSLY, BUDGETS!?!), HOW DOES CHARGING FOR A SUBMISSION HELP ANYONE?
In addition to the unsolicited films paying for the time and money it takes to actually review them, the other benefits include:
- Cutdown on Joke or Non-Serious Submissions: Before we shut down the unsolicited review submissions system in order to find a better solution, we were getting about 100 “films” a week. I put films in quotations because, really, the submissions were maybe 20 actual films, and then a smattering of everything from home video footage calling itself a short to shots of static calling itself experimental. With a price on the submissions, hopefully those inclined more on the joke of it all will value their wallets more than the unappreciated humor. And if not, well, at least it paid for itself.
- Cutdown on Shotgun Review Requests: Beyond the joke or non-serious submissions, we also got a lot of small distributors sending us their entire catalog every month. This means that 4-5 companies would be sending us 10-15 films, expecting a review. Which is fine, but it piles up and, honestly, those films have found a home. The unsolicited submissions was always about finding the lesser-known and giving those a respectful eye. If the film already has a distributor, is out in stores… it’s a bit of waste to send to us in this fashion. We expect that charging will cut down on these types of submissions, and if not, again, at least they pay for themselves.
- Faster Review Turnaround: With submissions cut down, the writers have fewer films to work through, which will allow them to work through them faster. What used to take 8 weeks or more, takes 4-6 weeks with this new system. This is a good thing.
- No Burned-Out Writers: Fewer crummy submissions means a lighter workload for the writers, which means less of a chance of writer burn out. The sad truth is that for every 10 new writers we brought on to help us cover the unsolicited review load, 9 of them burned out after the first box of films. This should slow that down.
- The Writers Get Paid: Little known fact (unless you’ve read the ‘About’ page, where it is explicitly stated), our writers have been doing this for free for 13+ years. With so many other businesses trying their best to find ways to make paid workers become unpaid workers, we’re going in the other direction. This is part of the process that allows that to happen.
- HOW DOES MY FILM BECOME A “SOLICITED” REVIEW?
If your film is out in theaters, on DVD or at a film festival, and we request the film, or review it as part of our normal day-to-day coverage, then it’s on us. We sought you out, and therefore planned and budgeted to cover your film. In other words, if you don’t wish to pay to submit now, wait until your film is out and readily available for folks to see, and we’ll likely find it in a more natural way.
- FUCK OFF! I’M NOT PAYING ANYTHING!
That’s your choice, and no hard feelings on our side. Doesn’t mean we’ll never see or review your film either, it just means we’ll get to it when we get to it in a more organic fashion, as mentioned above.
- WHAT’LL YOU DO WHEN NO ONE PAYS AND THIS GOES DOWN AS THE DUMBEST IDEA FILM THREAT EVER CAME UP WITH?
Look at it this way: for the few years before this system, we weren’t accepting any unsolicited submissions. So if no one uses the service, it’s right back where it has been. If even one person uses the service, than that person is going to get a quality review in a timely fashion. Again, everyone has a choice here.
- BUT SERIOUSLY, THEN… PAYING FOR A SUBMISSION MEANS I GET A GOOD REVIEW, RIGHT?
- IF I PAY EXTRA, OR SUBMIT MULTIPLE TIMES FOR A SINGLE FILM, WILL THAT SPEED UP THE REVIEW PROCESS?
No, so we strongly suggest that you do not do so. Our films are assigned to various writers in the order they are submitted. If you have a specific date that you’re hoping to have a review by, you’re welcome to drop us a line through the Contact Form and let us know, and we’ll do what we can to accommodate, but we can’t guarantee the review will be published according to your timeframe.
- AS LONG AS I PAY, THOUGH, YOU’LL BE FORCED TO REVIEW THE FILM, RIGHT?
We reserve the right not to review a film submitted to us, for various reasons at our discretion. If we decide not to review a film submitted via this system, we will refund the submission fee, unless you request otherwise. It is very rare, however, where we have decided not to review a film submitted through this system, but it has happened.
- ONCE THE FILM IS REVIEWED, IT WILL EXIST ONLINE FOREVER, RIGHT?
While we’d love to think that FilmThreat.com will always be an active website, one cannot predict the future and anything can happen. So we strongly suggest, rather than simply linking to the review after the fact, that if you truly like what has been written, take a screenshot or copy quotes for your own records. We’re not liable if the site goes offline and people cannot access the review.
- WHAT IF YOU GIVE MY FILM A NEGATIVE REVIEW, CAN I REQUEST THAT YOU REMOVE THE REVIEW FROM THE SITE?
Not really; that’s part of the risk you’re taking when you ask someone to review your film, that they may not like it. If you don’t want to take that risk, don’t submit your film for review.
- ACCORDING TO (YOUTUBE/VIMEO/ONLINE PLATFORM) ANALYTICS, ONLY 10 MINUTES OF THE FILM WAS WATCHED. DID YOU REVIEW THE FILM WITHOUT WATCHING IT?
We watch the submitted films we review, all the way through, period. I don’t know why the online viewing analytics would appear different, but they do sometimes. In these instances, I’d suggest reading the review and truly contemplating if the review could’ve been written without having seen the film. If you think you have a legitimate gripe in this sense, drop us a line through the Contact Form and we will investigate. That said, we watch all of the films submitted to us through this process from start to finish, so consider what is more likely: technology mis-logged a viewing, or a writer didn’t watch your film and wrote a review about it anyway (despite the fact that it would mean their job to do so). And, honestly, accusing one of us of having not seen your film, and reviewing it anyway, is about as insulting as they come and one of the quickest ways to burn a bridge around here if you’re wrong.
- CAN I USE ONE FORM TO SUBMIT MULTIPLE FILMS?
It may be annoying, but we need one form, one transaction, per film. This makes it easier to track submissions and, in the cases where different writers may review films from the same director, mailed in at the same time, it allows us to be even more accurate in our review turnaround timetable. Also, in the case of the shotgun submissions mentioned above, if folks are going to send in multiple films, they can’t use one payment to cover 10 films.
- WHAT IF I KNOW FILM THREAT’S MAILING ADDRESS, AND SEND ON A FILM ANYWAY?
If your film is unsolicited, meaning that we didn’t ask for it and don’t know that it is coming because you didn’t submit a form, then it won’t be reviewed. In other words, you can send as many unsolicited copies of your film as you’d like, but if we don’t have a submission form and payment, it won’t be reviewed.
- HOW DO I TRACK MY SUBMISSION?
When you pay, you’ll get redirected to a confirmation page with instructions for mailing (if applicable) and we’ll have your email (so use a dependable email address when you submit). If mailing a DVD, you’ll get an email when your film has arrived. Due to the large response to this service, expect a review in 4-6 weeks. If, after 5 weeks, you do not have a review, drop us a line through the Contact Form, and we’ll problem solve from there.
- DO YOU MAIL THE FILMS BACK WHEN YOU’RE DONE?
Nope, we do not return the films or submission materials so DO NOT send originals.
- WHAT IF I’VE GOT MORE QUESTIONS YOU HAVEN’T ADDRESSED?
Drop us a line through the Contact Form, and we’ll problem solve from there.
DO NOT mail any Film Threat mail to 5042 Wilshire Blvd, PMB 1500, Los Angeles, CA 90036. Film Threat is no longer headquartered in Los Angeles, and any mail sent there, meant for Film Threat, will not be seen.